Catherine "Cat" Seda

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

eBay Discontinues the eBay Keywords Program

eBay will discontinue the eBay Keywords program at the end of September 2006. The program allowed eBay sellers to bid for keywords for text ad placements (a pay-per-click model). Too bad, because it gave eBay Store owners an extra dose of visibility within eBay.

It's still better business sense to invest in an eBay Store than launch single listings, however. That's because eBay gives Store owners fabulous management tools for free. Plus, a Store can be indexed by the algorithm-based search engines such as Google, MSN and Yahoo! for free too. That means your web site and eBay Store could score free rankings for relevant keywords.

Heard about the latest eBay fee hike? Check out the Comments under "Online Reputation Check" for Pastor Phil's question and for responses from me and eBay expert, Janelle Elms. Care to comment about eBay? Compliments and complaints are welcome. Post 'em here.

1 Comments:

  • Hi again Cat,

    I'm a little confused on this one. I had just run a keyword campaign, and then heard about the program coming to an end. But just a day or two earlier I'd read a news item from eBay that as of the middle of September the keyword program was going to be enhanced by agreements with Google for wider publication on the search engine.

    So I figured there'd been a quick about-face. But then today I got an email from the keywords program (because I've used the program) promoting it and inviting me to come and buy another campaign.

    What gives?

    I'm wondering if they are indeed phasing out Keywords, but with a new version ready and waiting in the wings to be rolled out?

    Phil

    By Blogger Phil Morgan, at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home